duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Walgreens and policies

I lost my insurance card a few weeks ago. While in Walgreens it occurred to me that the last place I had it was there so I asked if they had a lost and found for such things. To my surprise they had a stack 3 or 4 inches thick of insurance cards, driver's licenses (several out of state), social security checks and other valuable personal items at the pharmacy.

Unfortunately I didn't find my card in the stack (I've since gotten a replacement). I asked the person behind the pharmacy counter if they planned on returning all these things to their owners, considering all the personal information that is needed to do so is printed right on the face. She told me "no," they just usually keep them around until people come back for them. I pointed at one social security check and commented that someone might appreciate the effort in returning such a thing. She seemed oblivious to the impact that a lost check might have for someone.

I walked away and ran into an assistant store manager. I asked him if they had a policy to return lost items such as the stack in the pharmacy. He also said no, and tried to go on his way. I continued my query, noting that there were checks and out of state licenses there and they ought to try to return them if they can. He backed up his previous assertion and said "we don't really do that," and hurried off.

I e-mailed Walgreen's customer service via a form on their website. That was last week, I've yet to get any response other than the automated "thanks for your comments." Their TV commercials tout that "we don't live in a perfect world, that's why there's Walgreens." In this case it doesn't seem like Walgreens is doing much to make it better.


Technorati tags: , ,


8 Comments:

Anonymous acline said...

Interesting situation. I'm looking forward to your continued coverage.

One might think this is an ethical issue, considering the types of items you've discussed.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Darin said...

I spend a lot of time going through public documents - which more members of the press should do....

Documents containing this type of information are everywhere, but for a private company to do this is probably not a good idea.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

Darin, my point is the address and contact information is printed right on the documents that they're holding... Minimal effort of a stamp and a letter would be in line in my opinion.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Samantha_K said...

Walgreens is one of the mass chain pharmacies that make life a little worse, not better. More than once I have had the wrong medication dosage printed on the label.

Why not return the personal items? It's not such a difficult thing to read an address on a driver's license, write it on an envelope and let it fly. Is it? Maybe we should launch a nation-wide inquiry.

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Jason said...

Just another great example of customer service declining! Then again, does Walgreens really give the employees any reason to go above and beyond the bare minimum in service?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Busplunge said...

My daughter got a job with Walgreen's right out of college. Promises were big, every other weekend off, no nights, no working more than 5 days in a row....well you guessed it.
She know has a job she loves but it took the Walgreen's experience to get there.
I am transferring my prescriptions to CVS, they will give me a $25.00 gift card for each script I transfer.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your daughter is crazy to think you can get a job with those hours and have fun at cvs a company who is never open. dont come running back on christmas day when you need your rx and your beloved cvs is closed yeah they care about you

7:08 PM  
Anonymous briket said...

forget customer service, what about doing what's right? it's sickening to hear that not ONE person working there gave an ounce of concern

if you're looking for a good local pharmacy in Springfield that WOULD call you if you left something, I suggest George's Pharmacy on East Sunshine

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home