duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

1984, Ender's Game, and Obama's Audicty of Hope


I've finished listening to several audio books since my last posting on the subject. I completed Orewell's 1984, and enjoyed it very much. The reader did an excellent job giving different characters voices. I was dissappointed in the ending, however (spoiler alert), as I like the "good guys" to win. Having now digested it I have a better understanding when the term "Orwellian" is thrown around.



I also picked up and listened to Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. This was probably the best produced book I've listened to so far. It had basically a cast of readers. I also enjoyed the story immensley. It's a book you can easily enjoy as a child or as an adult. I found on wikipedia it's used in some courses at the Marine Core University at Quantico for it's study on leadership.

In my previous post on audio books I asked if any of my left-leaning friends would read/listen to Ayn Rand's Why Businessmen Need Philosophy. So far no takers. I did pick up Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope (thanks to Sniderman for mentioning it). I figured I should take my own advice and read something from an opposing viewpoint.

I did enjoy listening to the book, especially since it's read by the author. I feel like I have a good sense for who the guy is. I agree with a lot of what he writes about, but I still have some fundamental differences in philosophy. All in all I can see why folks like him. If he were president, I'd support him. That's not to say I'm willing to cast my voite for him, but at this point I'm not ruling him out. That is actually saying a lot considering my past positions and political views.

Does anyone have any other recommeded readings?

Technorati tags: , , ,


1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

1984 is definitely my favorite book. I would describe the ending as "maddening," in that I wanted the good guys to win, yet I thought it was the perfect ending at the same time. It's truly a great book!

This is Kevin from work, by the way. I found my way here from your LinkedIn page.

8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home