duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Real Barber


I thought I needed a stylist when I got out of college. It was part of landing a new job, getting new clothes, driving a new car. I had "arrived" and I needed to look the part.

Well then I came to my senses (for the most part). Paying a stylist was silly, since my hair pretty much only does one thing anyway (grows straight out, fro-style). After an $18 haircut I'd be pressured into buying the latest hair gel, and I'd have to listen to lots of pretentious people go on and on about the "drama" in their lives.

So I decided to find a real barber. One where I could get a regular haircut for a few bucks and where they still used the shaving cream on your neck.

I found that place at Lawson's barber shop at the corner of Division and Glenstone. Terry Lawson cuts the hair of my father as well as some of my uncles so I already had an in with the barber. There's no pretentious conversation here, just a bunch of old codgers ranting about the latest local gossip. It's a place where I can pay $8 bucks (plus a tip, of course) for a good old-fashioned standard haircut.

You never know how long the wait is going to be, they don't take appointments at barber shops. But if you're looking for a good barber I can recommend this one.

Technorati tags: ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

My wife and I are TV Land fans, and the pic made me think of Andy Griffith's Floyd Lawson. Great blog ! :-)

7:43 AM  
Blogger Ken said...

Great blog about a great guy!

10:00 AM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

I didn't realize the News-Leader would be doing a story on him either.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home