duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Friday, July 21, 2006

Springfield, MO Radio


Radio Tower, Sunset
Originally uploaded by longristra.
The state of Springfield radio is not good. I learned quite a bit about this ruthless industry from someone I know who used worked for Power 96.5 Jams. Power is owned by the Journal Broadcast group, and operates Power, KSGF, KTTS, and Z.

Admittedly my opinion of radio is changing, I've matured and I'm having a hard time finding "my music." I've never been one to seek out new music on my own (I leave that to guys like Vapor or Zach.), I've just been one of those sheep that listen to whatever was being played. Growing up I was pretty much a fan of the typical top 40 stuff, pop, contemporary, rock, and some alternative. These days I'm having a tough time finding a station I can keep on the dial for extended periods of time.

I obviously don't fit the demographic for Power 96.5 Jams. There's way to much hip-hop for my tastes. Occasionally I'll catch a top 40 song on that station but it's in between songs about bizzos and clubs. Nothing I can relate to. That being said, I feel too young for stations like Alice or even worse, KGBX or one of the oldies stations.

I don't listen to any of the Christian or gospel music stations as again, I don't really fit the demographic (though there aren't many bizzo and club songs).

I do find myself listening to KSMU on my daily commute. However, as I previously ranted, the afternoon guy's voice annoys the heck out of me.

I'm going to have to admit something a little embarrassing in order to proceed with this rant. Since moving to the country (see my blog Geek Acres) I've... well... I've started listening to country music. I don't know what it is, but the country life and the country music seem to go together. That being said, occasionally my radio will be tuned to KTTS. Other than not knowing some songs and not liking others (still can't handle too much twang), my biggest complaint with KTTS is with the morning show. I wonder if the co-hosts can go a single commercial break without using the EXACT SAME audience cheering track break after break, day after day.

Much to the chagrin of the local blogoshpere, I do listen to NewsTalk KSGF as well. As much crap the morning show host, Vincent David Jericho, gets from the local bloggers, he does have a good show put together. Compared to the other talk station, it's a well-produced and well-engineered sounding station. I can only take Vince for so long though, especially way he goes off the deep-end with some of his super-Christian or anti-science rants.

I used to enjoy listening at lunch time to the Bill O'Reilly show on KSGF, but that has been moved to 9 PM at night for some silly reason. I rarely listen to the radio at home. Again, I find Bill's show entertaining and informative, and while I may not always agree I thought it was a good show. It was replaced during the noon hour by Laura Ingram. I can't take listening to Laura Ingram or Sean Hannity waving the party flag no matter what. The Savage show can sometimes be entertaining but mostly it's maddening. My favorite show, of which I get to listen to very little, is the Neal Boortz show. I just finished his Fair Tax book, and I'm a supporter for sure now (more on that in another post).

None of the "alternative" rock stations get much time on my dial either. It seems like most of today's rock is about pent up anger or aggression. I don't like listening to music that makes me mad. It was good when I was a teen, but now I want a little more from my music.

What's your favorite station? Are you a satellite radio user, and if so do you think it's worth it? I'm thinking it might be worth investigating.

Technorati tags: , , , , , ,


10 Comments:

Blogger John Stone said...

The only thing really good about satellite is you can get Air America, Al Franken, Randi Rhodes, and my old pal, Mike Malloy (at night) without going to the Air America stream.

Otherwise I have not found sat to be very good, but it is cheap ... sooooooo ....

1:24 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Ok... first I have to mention the worst sound I ever heard over the radio - Laura Ingram interviewing Ann Coulter.. it was like rabid cats in heat or something RoOWWWWW ROOOOWWWW!!

Anyway, you have found something that I've been dealing with since moving back here from KC. Not that the general radio stations anywhere are that great, 'cause its too commercialized. I've been listening to local music only.

Pick up Big Smith's self titled album... I would offer to burn you a copy but that's not leagal! Go see a show - they are big fun without the cussing and drinking - most of their shows are all ages. Wear your overalls and comfortable boots incase you feel like dancin'!

If you like country there is a little bit of an underground rebirth of southern rock that you might enjoy.

MY advice is to drop the radio all together except for your talk radio / NPR fix. That's what I've done.

4:56 PM  
Anonymous Brandon Crain said...

Great article/post... I agree with most of it. It seems like the radio stations are still playing music I listened to in high school (10 years ago). Not a bad thing, because most of the new music today is crap in my opinion. Not all, but most... and I hate to say it, but I agree with your country music statement. Lately, that's the only type of music that doesn't seem played out to me. I almost died the other day, I was listening to a local country station, and heard a song I really liked. When I found out it was Kenny Rogers, ...I thought to myself, man...now I know I'm getting old. :)
The best musician from this decade in my opinion is John Mayer; he needs his own radio station. I would tune in everyday.

1:03 AM  
Anonymous Zach said...

Tough to find good music Duane. I had a really good experience with satalite radio. There is such a vast amount of good music compliled really well that everyone will find their niche. XM or Siius you can't go wrong. After getting the initial system it is quite cheap per month.

I have been kicking around the idea of doing ZachIsHere.com radio again so you will have to tune in. Should happen in a month or so.

1:52 AM  
Blogger The Libertarian Guy (tm) said...

Man, do I miss KRFG... there was a radio station. But I'm showing my age.

9:21 AM  
Blogger DocLarry said...

Duane,

Your photo is a cell phone tower. Technically, it IS a radio tower as cell phones use radio waves. But it is NOT used for transmitting a radio station's signals, which is what your post is about. Just sayin.

Thought I'd beat 417pundit to the punch, as it were.

10:42 AM  
Blogger John Stone said...

Have you listened to KWTO recently ... what a crappy signal. No wonder VD(J) is wiping them in the ratings. You would think that could provide a good signal to metro SGF .. but nooooooo .. on my HAM gear it shows a +7 signal, KGSF shows a 40 db+ over 9 signal.

I have even given up trying to record Woot-woot-wooten to make fun of him.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

Lib guy,
You mean "keep rockin from Greenfield!?"

Ok, I only know of that because someone else I know showed their age by getting the reference. He too misses the station!

Brandon,
I think I know the Kenny Rogers song you're talking about... :)

John,
I can't stand listening to poor quality audio, so I can't listen to KWTO.

12:21 PM  
Blogger timmo said...

Satellite is great all over!!
i am addicted to my XM2GO.
house, to car, to the mower, i take it everywhere. the station formats are very wide, and with the artist select feature, you never miss your fav's. but for some reason mine doesn't receive the air america signal. but it sure locks on to Glenn Beck and Bill O'Reilly, strange.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a newcomer to Missouri from the radio capital of the world, New York City, I see no difference in what is offered. Except for KBFL (1060 AM), as this is the only station that plays a variety of music, not just the hits. I do however operate a pirate station somewhere between Springfield and St. Louis, and only play songs from the late 50's to the mid 70's. Nothing that would be considered offensive and most importantly, listenable. Now I know the illegalities, but I make sure my signal does not interfere with any other radio service. And I pride myself in providing an alternative to the garbage that radio has become, for the most part. Also my audio is clean and not compressed. Reports from my listeners indicate that they like not only what they hear, but of the quality. Today's radio sound is so fatiguing.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home