duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Vicious Breeds


dobie
Originally uploaded by duanekeys.
The News-Leader covered the city council meeting last night on the new Pit Bull Ordinances being considered. I'm against any breed specific legislation and my sentiment was echoed many times in last nights meeting.
It's the owners, stupid.
That was the not-so-subtle message sent to Springfield City Council members Monday during a public hearing on a breed-specific ordinance targeting pit bulls.
Just like children, dogs are a product of not only genetics but the environment and influences in which they are raised. Pictured here is Dobie, our 95 lb lap dog (seriously, he loves to lay in our laps for petting). I've never had a dog that was so sensitive. Dobie easily gets his feelings hurt even if we're scolding one of the other dogs.

Our Dobie-do isn't a pit bull, we don't know exactly what he is as we got him from the humane society, but he does resemble another breed with a bad wrap. It won't be long before they start considering other breeds.

By then though, we'll be moved out of Greene County! :)


3 Comments:

Anonymous Lorie said...

I am a dog lover and have found myself sitting on the fence when it comes to this issue. In our area we have several people breeding pit bulls and selling them to other neighbors who in turn breed these dogs for money. It is as though Pit Bulls are seen as a status symbol of some sort. And although most of these dogs seem harmless, I am terrified of them because I have seen them turn on people to "protect" their owner when there is no real need for protection. I think a lot of problems would be solved by requiring the animal to be spayed or neutered but that is a different issue and one that I strongly believe in. Just my 2 cents...

8:59 PM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

I think all dogs and cats that aren't show animals should be sterlized. There are plenty of pets at the shelters for everyone.

10:10 PM  
Anonymous pablo said...

My wife and I stayed at a bed and breakfast in Oregon, and the house dog was a massive pit bull. It was the most loving and playful dog I'd ever met.

You might look up a recent article by Malcolm Gladwell in the NY Times or the New Yorker magazine about pit bulls. I think his conclusion is that there is nothing wrong with the breed itself, but the owners are the makers of the problem. It may help with your argument before the city council. (Note: I have not read the article. I could be off base.)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home