duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I want my HDTV so I recently signed up for DirecTV since there was a freebie/discount deal going on (sorry Dish Network). I noticed quite a few more digital over the air stations showed up on the program guide when I searched for local stations. Besides the NBC station (KY3) which has been deliver high definition content for sometime, I saw CBS (KOLR), Fox (KSFX), and ABC (KSPR) on the program guide. I was pretty excited that I might get to watch the superbowl in HD, plus any of the other prime-time shows. Sadly though, none of the content is actually in high definition and upon further reading they are broadcasting at minimum power, just enough to get by the FCC's requirements for broadcasting in digital, which explains why I have to hold on to the antenna, looking west, while holding my mouth open to get the stations to come in at all.

It's not really much of a surprise I guess, just take a look at the news broadcasts of any of the straggling stations and you can see that they are pretty low budget operations. I can't quite pinpoint what makes KY3 look so much better; the production value is just so much higher. I'll admit that KSFX's new broadcast has improved, they've toned down the gold on theme they had to something bearable.

The other two stations, KOLR 10 (which shares studios, news anchors, and a broadcast tower if I'm not mistaken with KSFX) and KSPR 33 just look cheap. The studios, the tight uncomfortable headshots of the anchors, the poorly edited video and audio... It just feels cheap.

Maybe someone else prefers one of the other local stations or could help me figure out why they look so cheap.

Technorati tags: ,

Update: Looking for info on the Superbowl in HD in Springfield, MO? Read my latest post here.


5 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

I've had my HDTV long enough that its pretty much obsolite and there is still not much more than PBS broadcasting in HD. Now I wish I had that dinosaur out of my livingroom and had a nice flat panel plasma that would hang on the wall.

8:09 AM  
Blogger zprime said...

plasmas don't have a very long life though before colors start to fade and what not.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

I'm fairly happy with the amount of HD content we're recieving. If we were in a bigger market it would be better. Right now I get Universal HD, HDNet, HDNet Movies, ESPNHD, ESPN2 HD (haven't really seen any hd content on 2 yet), Discovery HD, HBO HD, Showtime HD, a pay per view HD channel, KY3, and KOZK (PBS).

As long as your TV has component inputs you'll be able to find equipment that will work.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Kara said...

Ahhh... didn't know that about the plasmas. I have the projection style and the pictures are still very clear. I went ahead and bought the protection plan in case I needed the stuff calibrated and as usual it turned out to be a waste of money. I have moved the thing twice and its still aligned pretty much perfectly.

When I bought it (in KC) there was only PBS broadcasting locally in HD and the reciever was an addtional $800 - rediculous after you spend almost $4000 on TV and cables (it is all component)

Apparently no one is really too worried about it because most idiots actually think since they have an HD TV they are watching HD.
http://www.techliberation.com/archives/027416.php

10:03 AM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

You can get the DirecTV reciever for free right now!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home