duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Thursday, November 03, 2005

The progress on the media room is slow. Jennifer hasn't been feeling well and I've been occupied with other things... and I hate painting. It should be done this weekend, however. What is painted however really looks good.

I'm going to bicycle commute in the morning and I'm very much looking forward to it. I bought a cheap-o mirror from Wal-Mart, as well as a C02 canister pump. I also got a better bike lock and one of those bright yellow saftey vests. I also added some reflective tape to the frame of the bike. People may laugh when they see me, but I'd rather they laugh and SEE me, than not laugh and run me over! On the plus side it appears the weather is going to be very cooperative. And I remembered to buy travel sized personal items for getting ready at work.

I spent about an hour in one of the local O'Reilly stores talking about how to rig up a 12V lighting system on my bike. There are several driving/fog lights that would work for my application. The only question is on the batteries. I can buy a small ATV/Watercraft sealed-lead battery, it just didn't have any specifications on the box so I don't know if it would hold up. I'll be doing a little more research on the product and see if I can make it work. The guys at the store were really helpful and interested in the idea. I also helped them with some problems they were having on the thin-clients we have installed at the stores. There was one problem I couldn't figure out that I'll get some more expertise on when I get back into the office.

We're probably going to tackle our kitchen remodel more seriously after the media room. I've already started sanding down the cabinet doors. I'll do the same to the cabinet faces before we spray a nice new bright white paint on them. New hardware will be in order as well. Following that we'll probably be replacing the countertops as well as the dishwasher, or as I like to call it, the loud-noise-making-machine. We'll opt for something a little more "quality" to hopefully reduce the noise output. I did some research and apparently there's no real home-brew solution to reducing the sound output of cheap dishwashers.

Technorati tags: , , ,


2 Comments:

Blogger Rev.Vapor said...

I have some dynamat somewhere. If you could figure out how to get it into the door of the dishwaser you could put that in there. It would probably make it quieter.

On the other hand, there are some really nice quiet dish washers out there. My parents bought an nice one made by Bosch. It is stainless and really quiet. Doesn't have any ugly knobs and buttons on the front either. Not sure how expensive it was.

Another thing to think about are those drawer style dishwashers. You put two of them in, stacked. You use the clean dishes out of one, and when you get them dirty you fill the other one. When it gets full you run it and alternate. I saw that when I was forced to watch one of the HGTV home improvement shows. My parents and sister are addicted to those shows, so when I go home I get to watch them. Thanks Direct TV!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

I thought the exact same thing. I did some reading up and basically the cheaper dishwasher motors don't dissapate heat well so they have to vent the cabinet and that's where all the noise comes out. The more expensive dishwashers have better, more efficient motors.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home