duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Well, I'm sorry to say, despite heroic efforts by Jennifer, she couldn't save my stir fry tonight. It was too far gone, and no amount of other spices could make it taste good.

On another note I bought a bike rack from Cycles Unlimited but I didn't have the bike there to test fit it. I was pretty frustrated the first day because I couldn't figure out how to mount it. Of course I bought my bike off eBay so the local bike shops would probably help, for a fee. But after some advice on how to mount the pannier rack on cyclingforums.com and a quick look at other bikes on the commuting forum of bikeforums.net I convinced myself to do a custom modification. The results are below:



Because of the comfort bike geometry and the fact that it's a relatively small frame the mounting points are really low, too low to make this rack work without serious fabrication. So since I didn't know how to do the serious fabrication, I did some easy fabrication. I used metal strapping (plumbers tape I've heard it called) to attach it to my seat post. Under the strapping I placed a sliver of old inner tube to keep it from scratching and secured it all together with some nuts and bolts. It should work for what I'm needing to do.

Here's a couple closeups:




Also, I was able to reuse the rear reflector by attaching it (using an extra mounting bracket that I didn't need for the rack) to the rear of the rack.

Some might ask, "why are you blogging about this?" Well first, it's my blog, so go somewhere else if you don't like it! ;) But I'm hoping it might help someone out someday, as a google search on how to install a pannier rack leads to a site where someone performing the same search is lead back to their own blog entry! So I don't feel so bad for not knowing.

I also picked up a universal bike tool, so the only things left on the list are panniers and a pump. Panniers are freaking expensive, even on eBay. I'm considering some do-it-yourself panniers.

Technorati tags: ,


11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Duane
Thanks heaps for your blog entry about mounting pannier racks. I had exactly the same problem as you because my bike frame is small. I found your tips and photos very useful. Great idea!
Thanks again
MT
Australia

8:50 PM  
Blogger Nathan said...

Good thing you blogged about this. I bought a rack on ebay and am now trying to figure out how to make it work!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! Very helpful. Glad I googled it :)

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You very much! Why don't they sell pannier racks with the right connections??

Your blog really helped, I used a spare bolt i had and the bracket for the reflector but seems to work fine.

Bob

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I searched for rear rack install and came across your page and it was helpful. I had similar issues with install and your pictures pointed me in the right direction. Thanks!

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had a similarly rigged rack on my bike for a while now. Just checking to see if I've got it on in a dangerous way, and here we are.

Who would've thunk it :)

2:35 PM  
Blogger bidalah said...

Interesting. You originally posted this 3 years ago. Here we are in 2008, I'm having the SAME issue, and yours is still the first useful link on installing these things that Google found! Thank you very much for posting. I'll be biking to work tomorrow!

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Rebecca said...

For me also, your thread on the bikeforum was all I could find to help me with this rack...I bought it as the store was closing and they assured me I could put it on myself since they didn't have the time to do it. Since the store is 20 miles away, I can't bike back for help, and I emailed the company who makes it and they are closed for a week. So thanks a bunch, I bent the supports and just improvised screwing the ends of the supports to their clamps. Not easy or obvious at all contrary to their claims. And their website is all about how "it's not greek, you can do it!"

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff man, I was thinking of solutions to this problem and had a fair idea of how to do it but it just really helped to see a visual of it. It's funny you commented on why you would blog about something like this, but all information is useful. Thanks mate

1:54 AM  
Blogger Ed/California said...

Thanks for your posting concerning the ECO Rack. I'm about to purchase a rack for my Raleigh Roadster and your information is very useful. Ed/California

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here we are in 2012, and your blog is helping again. Similar problem with mounting the Eco Rack- I am about ready to take it back to REI as I went to the trouble to take my bike in to the store to assure that I got a rack that would fit my step-through Cannondale ("Girls") frame. I may fuss some more with using your info and picture. Thanks. BL Sacramento, CA

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home