duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I scoped out some of my proposed bike route yesterday (part by vehicle on the way home from work) and found that google maps thinks some streets connect that actually do not. After dinner I went for a ride to see how it would go. I strapped my backpack on with all the stuff I normally carry in my briefcase and found that I would be a sweaty mess by the time I got to work and would definitely require a shower as part of that routine. There are locker rooms at my office, so it is an option.

I ran out of daylight and didn't make it anywhere near the whole route on bike, but I'll probably try it again this weekend.


2 Comments:

Blogger Reacher said...

I have been following the alt. transportation issue rather closely. I understand your apprehension about biking in Springfield. In general, though, I have found that if you stay off the major thoroughfares, motorists are tolerable. I think the gas thing has made more people sympathetic to bikers. As for your sweaty ride, you can solve a lot of that by adding a $20 rear carrier on your bike. Strap your stuff on the carrier, taking it off your body. You can also add pannier bags to carry a bunch of stuff.

Give a try. I think you'll get hooked once you get used to it.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

I'm definitely going to give it a try, I think I need to build up my stamina a little more though and still have some logistics to work out.

My current bike is a wal-mart special and I'm regretting that now. I checked out some rides in A&B Cycle this weekend and I may have to bite the bullet at some point and spend some real money on a bike. But I think I need to prove to myself that I can do it at all first on my current equipment.

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home