duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Jennifer and I joined the St. John's Fitness center this last week. We both had a fitness evaluation and it's no suprise to either of us that her cardiovascular conditioning is much better than mine! She scored average on her oxygen efficiency while I scored only fair (which is just above poor).

My strength portion was ok but that's not what I should be focusing on, with a body fat percentage almost 26%. That's 41 lbs. of fat I'm lugging around (out of a total 164). In the next 6 months I'm going to try to get my bf% down to 15% while maintaining my weight around 150 lbs. That will mean I'll have to loose about 20 lbs. of fat and gain about 6 lbs of muscle in the next 6 months. It's going to require better eating and lots of real cardio and discipline!

So I decided I'd try 'spinning' to get some of the cardio I need. It's basically riding a stationary bike, except it's in a class format with an instructor. The instructor keeps the class in sync having people change resistance, do different hand positions, stand, etc. There's more to properly adjusting the bike to fit you than I imagined, and they require you to attend an orientation to have the instructor fit the bike to you correctly. After the short oreintation class I immediately went out and bought a padded seat cover. After my first real class last night my butt is still sore! Oh well, I'll hopefully get over that soon.

The class was a real challenge. It's done in the dark (mostly) with workout music playing. The instructor has a mic to give directions for changing positions or resistance or to give a heart rate check. Mine was way out of the recommeded 80% zone so I couldn't keep up through most of the class. It's ok though as you're supposed to keep it at your own level. I should be able to keep up if I stick to it though!


2 Comments:

Blogger Rev.Vapor said...

I need to do something too.

I remember the days when I had 6% bf, could run 5 miles, do 100 sit-ups in less than a minute, play 90 minutes of soccer, and still have energy left. Of course, that was 11 years ago (holy shit).

I am scared to see my bf % now, almost die trying to jog 1 mile, let alone run. It hurts my back when I do 30-40 sit-ups and takes me a couple minutes, and I am afraid I would blow out a knee if I tried to play soccer.

Everything gets better with age my ass!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Duane Keys said...

Join up! I really think the spinning class is going to help. I'm going in the evenings.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home