duanekeys. Get yours at flagrantdisregard.com/flickr

Monday, November 17, 2003

Jennifer (my wife) and I had a great weekend. My friend Mike Spyres was one of the three chosen finalist in the Metropolitan Opera contest... We knew you could do it Mike. Unfortunately we only heard the final note of his performance through a closed door, but I could tell he was pleased to see we made it anyway... Or maybe it was just the Serbian liquor he and ingested to calm his nerves. After we spoke to Mike for a bit we met my good friend Chris who showed us around town. Chris and I were roommates in college. I haven't gotten to see Chris (and other college buddies) as much as I'd like since graduating; it was good to see him.

Chris and I have met up on some pretty cool vacations since college including one to Las Vegas and another to New York City. Vapor also made it to that NYC trip.

Chris showed Jennifer and I around the town while we waited to find out how Mike did in the competition. We first walked around the art museum, Jennifer had never been to a "real" museum before and enjoyed it very much. Chris and I caught up on old times and traded working-world stories.

Following the museum we made the short walk down fine arts drive to the Zoo. I was surprised to learn that the Zoo admission was free. Thanks very much to the St. Louis tax payers! Visiting the zoo when it's cold outside (40 to 50 degrees F) has it plus and minuses. On the plus side no one was there. Chris kept saying how nice it was compared to the summer when it pays to have sharp elbows to stake out your personal space. On the down side many of the animals weren't out in the display areas. We did manage to see a baby giraffe that was born just a few days earlier.

While catching up with Chris I asked about this "Carrie" person he had brought to our wedding. I felt like a huge ass when I finally realized who Carrie is. Carrie was a friend of ours we met on-line in college who I knew best as Zinnia or just Z. So, Z, if you're reading this, my deepest apologies for not recognizing you at the wedding. In my attempted defense I did have a lot going on that day! ;)

After some time at the zoo we decided to go to dinner. We ate at a little Vietnamese restaurant on South Grand and was it ever delicious. It was also very reasonably priced and one of the only places we could find to have dinner at 4:00 p.m. on a Saturday. I can't remember the name of it but I'll find out from Chris for sure. Since we've gotten back Jennifer has broken out the Asian cook book and been trying different recipes. For the uninitiated, Jennifer is an awesome cook and often notes that it's one of the reasons I married her. :)

After dinner we had some coffee at yet another place I can't remember the name of (but I will find out). It was authentically trendy (if that makes sense) with plenty of colorful people sipping java over their laptops. We planned on going shopping at the Galleria after coffee and Chris had some prior engagements to attend to. We decided however to begin the trek home instead. We've got malls at home too.

On Sunday Jennifer, Dobie, and I spent almost the whole day outside. We did some much needed yard work. We raked leaves and prepared the gardens for winter. Jennifer gave me an excuse to use my tiller and planted some bulbs along the shed and the driveway which I'm sure will look beautiful in the spring as all her other landscaping always does. She's got the green thumb, I just have a strong back! :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home